There’s no greater indulgence than a hot straight razor shave under the hands of a master. – Valor & Vice
Hot towels, smooth shaves and even smoother whiskey are just a few of things you’ll find at John Allan’s Downtown Premier Men’s Grooming Club. I’m a man of specific tastes, so when I find a place that gets it right, I’m hooked. Here’s my full review of the experience:
- Mad Men meets Modern GQ with rich wood, vintage leather chairs, fine art and polished accents.
- Open floor plan coupled with tucked away specialty rooms creates the anticipation and excitement of a private, custom currated experience as you move from service to service.
- Light music and quiet patrons: perfect to relax and unwind.
- Coffee, full-service premium whiskey bar, and homemade sangria all on the house.
- Accommodating, friendly and down-to-earth.
- Greeted me at the door to take my coat and offer a drink.
- Front desk was wonderful and made sure I was always attended to.
- Extremely knowledgeable specialists detailed the benefits of each service I received.
- Felt like I’d known everyone for years and would love to come back just to talk shop.
- Haircut: Began with a relaxing hot towel and neck massage, followed by a scalp massage shampoo rinse and professional scissor trim, and topped off with specialty product + styling.
- Manicure: I get what the fuss is about now, this was incredibly relaxing.
- Straight Razor Shave: Like most men, I have sensitive skin when it comes to straight razors and have grown accustomed to red bumps and irritation. However, the John Allan’s process of massaging and treating the skin before, during and after left my skin impossibly smooth and irritation free. 10/10.
- Shoe Shine: This was the icing on the cake, freshening up my leather + woven fibre hybrid shoes.
This was a rare treat I’ve decided I need more of in my life. Memberships start at $950/ year, with unlimited full-service treatments, complimentary beverages + shoe shines and two full service friends and family certificates. When you do the math, it comes out to less than the price of a cup of coffee a day in NYC.
More information on memberships and locations to have your own John Allan’s experience can be found here.
Guest Appearance: igeeokafor
©Valor & Vice